I’m not ever going to apologize for the delay, since whatever pretense I ever had at regular updates is gone now, but the goal of 2-3 a month remains, and so here’s Page 11 of my current story, Sorry, Jundi. The goal remains to compile all of these stories into a book, probably sometime towards the end of 2017 i.e. when I’ve drawn all of the Iraq War stories that I feel are worthwhile.
After a delay, Page 10. Expect Page 11 sometime in the middle of next week. These are going to get a little less regular, and I’m going to deviate from my “every Sunday” schedule over the next couple of years as I finish college degree #3 (second bachelor’s in a different field — not a PhD). Anyway, hopefully it’s clear what happened here: the drag handle on his armor got caught on the door latch, leaving him dangling when he tried to jump down.
By 2008, when I got to Iraq, most of the FMTVs in country were up-armored to some extent, often with a bewildering combination of add-on armor kits and jury-rigged welded-together sheet metal, or bits taken off of blown-up HMMWVs. It’s entirely possible that no two were alike, and due to a variety of technical reasons that I’m not going to get into, the original M1078/M1083 cab was especially difficult to modify — which is why the Army is replacing them with A1P2s.
Here’s page nine of my current story, delayed by a couple of weeks due to Christmas.